Marsh Hen Mill | Johnny Cakes
Original price $9.00 - Original price $9.00
$9.00 - $9.00
Current price $9.00
"Johnny Cake" was first used in South Carolina in 1739. Historians believe the American Indian word "janiken" meant "corn cake". Johnny Cakes were a staple in colonial times from the Caribbean to Newfoundland. Variations of this Legendary "cake" are as diverse as the people who made them.
- Ingredients - Unenriched Cracked Corn, Sugar, Salt
- Weight & Dimensions 1.5 lbs • 10.5 x 5.25 x 3 in
Easy Johnny Cakes Recipe
- 1 cup Marsh Hen Mill Johnny Cakes Mix
- 1 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of milk
- Bacon drippings (butter or other oil/fat can be used)
- In a medium saucepan bring water to a rolling boil.
- Remove from heat and pour Johnny Cake mix into a mixing bowl. Stirring constantly, drizzle the hot water over the mix.
- After the batter is thoroughly mixed, stir in the milk.
- Heat the bacon drippings in a large cast iron frying pan on medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, drop your batter by the spoonful.
- Cook until both sides are golden brown, just like a pancake.
*Cooking time may vary depending on the stovetop and the conditions in the kitchen. Elevation and humidity effect cooking times.